Piliers de conception
The design of Ashes of Creation adheres to five main pillars.
In designing Ashes of Creation, we adhere every detail to five main pillars: Engaging and Immersive Story, a Reactive World, Player Interaction, Player Agency, and Risk vs Reward. Even in the environment, everything you as the player do will tie into these pillars, while everything your guild does, everything your server does will ultimately keep the world fresh, ever-changing, and most importantly... exciting.
Historique de la page
There were originally four design pillars: Économie, Nœuds, Meaningful conflict and Narrative.
- Q: Are there any mechanics or systems that you wanted to add to the game but haven't because you wanted to ensure that your development schedule stays on track? And if so, what are they?
- A: There's a lot. We- generally when we're doing our internal meetings and reviews and a great idea comes up, we throw it in the backlog post-launch. That's our- generally our MO when it comes to great ideas. Because the reality is, as we continue to go through features, we develop those features, we test those features and iterate on those features, a lot of new ideas and opportunities come about for the team to think about. Well, wouldn't it be great if this feature actually did this and interacted with another feature over here that did this. And so we're trying to make sure that another feature over here did this. And in some situations we'll evaluate and determine whether or not that type of interaction is really necessary to demonstrate what the core loop of a particular system might be trying to demonstrate and we'll make the changes necessary. But in the majority of cases, we try to stay cognizant of, hey, here is our MVP necessary list of core integrated systems in order to achieve the identity of the game that we're in the core gameplay loops that we want players to experience. And we work towards that end from a launch perspective; and anything that's added that sounds good, or we want to incorporate, we throw it into the expansion bucket. There's an opportunity for us to- we need stuff obviously for us to expand upon and for us to continue development post-launch, so that's generally our MO with regards to new ideas and stuff. – Steven Sharif
Ashes of Creation est un MMORPG à venir qui se déroule dans un monde de "haute fantaisie" où les différents choix des joueurs façonnent et définissent le monde qui les entoure.
Ashes of Creation à une approche unique de l'expérience MMO. La structure de notre monde est dynamique et conçue pour réagir aux actions de nos joueurs. Les cités s'élèveront et s'effondreront, leurs populations étant basées sur l'histoire du monde telle que les joueurs l'ont créée. Les quêtes se débloquent au fur et à mesure que ces populations grossissent, que leurs besoins augmentent et que des secrets soient révélés. Étant donné que l'environnement des PNJ à travers le jeu est établie en temps réel, les joueurs auront donc la possibilité de détruire ce qu'ils ont créé, ouvrant la voie à un nouveau développement, à de nouvelles populations et à un véritable changement. Les luttes et intrigues politiques joueront un rôle très important dans la structure de votre monde. L'époque des mondes statiques est révolue, le changement est là pour rester.
Le nom original du projet pour Ashes of Creation était The World of Origins.
- When it comes to how MMO’s have been traditionally designed, most gamers are familiar with two distinct types of gameplay loops: the “theme park”, and the “sandbox”. The vast majority of MMO’s we’ve all seen come and go in the gaming industry have been of the theme park variety – these games put the player onto a specific path, guiding them along, with plenty of pretty sights in between the same old quest hubs, very little in divergent paths, virtually no freedom in player progression. Recently the MMO genre has seen some games of the sandbox nature come onto the scene, but despite the ultimate freedom the sandbox affords players, many are left wanting more, as there is by definition no pre built world content, no human touch, just the vastness of the “sand” for lack of a better term. Thus many MMO players often find themselves caught between the repetitive rock of the theme park or the vast dead spaces of the sandbox’s hard place. This chasm between the state of MMO gameplay loops is where we intend to inject Ashes of Creation’s Node system.
- In order for sandbox mechanics to mean something, there must be curated content to accompany the player’s choices. Which means, as the developers, we must create that Themebox style content but for every possible path the community may take. – Steven Sharif
- Q: How do you go about designing some of the more old school systems such as XP debt, minimal fast travel, and open world raiding that have really gone away for the most part in modern MMOs?
- A: When looking at the reasoning behind why some of those old systems existed, a lot of it was centralized around the idea of risk versus reward. I mean, let's take a look at the three that you name, XP debt, minimal fast travel, and open world raiding. Experience debt is a cost of failure. Experience debt is the bite of not achieving success. If I die to a monster because my strategy was bad, because my performance was bad, because my planning was bad: all of that means that debt is the cost I pay for the bad choice... Minimal fast travel: My location matters; and the time it travels there is the cost I pay. Open world raiding: I'm not the only person interested in completing this objective. I have competition. That competition represents pressure. That pressure represents a desire to succeed and perform. All of those are touch points on player emotional connectivity. There is a reason why I want to succeed: Part of that reason can be incentivization through reward; part of that reason can be distance; it can be incentivization through failure. So that I think are one of the core fundamental philosophies as to how you design some of the more old-school systems. – Steven Sharif
Ashes of Creation puise son inspiration dans plusieurs MMORPGS.
- Eve Online pour son économie gérée par région et risk vs reward pour le système de caravanes.
- ArcheAge pour le système de construction, le système de caravanes et de combats navals.
- Lineage II pour les sièges de forteresses, le système de flagging, le PvP en monde ouvert et le développement de guilde.
- Star Wars Galaxies pour le système d'artisanat.
Lorsque l'on s'interroge sur ce qui a été fait avant, on regarde toujours qui a fait quoi le mieux et on essaie de s'en inspirer: Faire avancer le genre; mettre les choses au goût du jour. – Jeffrey Bard
There is not going to be a typical end-game in Ashes of Creation.
Part of the whole experience with nodes is that there is no real end-game, in that the world is constantly shifting every day. Month one is going to be really different from month two; and that's for the level 50s and level 1s. – Jeffrey Bard
We want the game to be a living game, which means that all content should be relevant at all times. I’d say that we try to make as little distinction between the leveling up experience and the end game experience as possible. The whole journey is important to us, in order to maximize the fun people have during different stages of the game. – Sarah Flanagan
Histoire engageante et immersive
Topics that reflect the past and the present of Verra.
- Classes | Archétypes | Rôles
- Races | Religions
- Compétences | Augmentation
- Histoire et traditions | Arcs Narratifs
- Jeu de rôle | Animations sociales
- Carte du monde | Points d'intérêt | Climat
- Environnements | Underrealm | Sous-marin
Topics that describe how the world of Verra evolves based on player activity.
- Nœuds | Types de Nœuds | Node stages | Zone d'influence
- Économie | Player businesses | Auction houses
- Classes artisanales | Collecte | Traitement | Artisanat
- Quêtes | Evénements | Tâches
- Navale | Combat naval | Navires
- Bosses d'extérieur | Pièces de Monstres
- Environnements destructibles
Ashes of Creation will be a living, breathing, reactive world. Your actions will shape the Zones of Influence, leveling Nodes to form massive Cities, and create the story of the world that everyone experiences. – Margaret Krohn
Game systems and mechanics that foster player interaction.
- Donjons | Raids | Combat
- Guildes | Salles de guilde | Forteresses de guilde | Châteaux de guilde
- Dynamique de groupe | Pillage
- Organisations sociales
- Jeux de salon
We decided to focus on mechanics that bring the idea of community to the forefront. To get people to interact with each other meaningfully – not just to conquer a raid boss, or to get some coin from a faceless auction house, but to maybe save a city. A city that all the local residents had a stake in. A city that the players had spent weeks or months developing; the defense of that city, the attack on that city! Or building a world together as a community choosing our own fate with our friends. We believe that’s going to be a story far more memorable and far more meaningful to players than just about anything we can come up with.
Agence de joueur
Systems that grow and shape player experiences in the game.
- Armes | Armure
- Progression | Nivellement
- Logement | Logement de noeud | Appartements | Propriété privée
- Montures | Mules | Dragons
- Créateur de personnages | Apparences d'équipements
- Cosmétiques | Apparences | Costumes | Accessoires
- Inventaire | Consommables
We will have a lot of content that is available, but those will be behind doors that are accessible through agency on behalf of the community. In a traditional sense, no we are not a theme-park, however we will probably have more content than a theme-park does, traditionally. Just because, in order for those choices to be meaningful, there must be meaningful content behind the door you choose. – Steven Sharif
Risque contre récompense
Activities that reward daring adventurers and foster meaningful conflict.
- World PvP | Caravanes | Guerres de guilde
- Sièges de Nœuds | Siège de Château
- Corruption de joueur | Chasseurs de primes
- Succès | Leader boards | Parc des trophées
- Exploration | Chasse au Trésor
- Stock exchange (sharemarket)
The risk versus reward relationship, when, say for instance, you've dedicated time towards building a node and other players have dedicated that equivalent time towards sieging the node, there's going to be a pitched battle between those players... They spend that time doing this because they care passionately about having access to that content. – Steven Sharif
- ↑ 1.0 1.1
- ↑ Direct, 2017-05-03 (11:33).
- ↑ Direct, 2023-04-07 (1:22:39).
- ↑ Direct, 2021-01-29 (46:48).
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Ashes of Creation MMO.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 A reactive world - Nodes.
- ↑ Podcast, 2021-04-11 (46:44).
- ↑ MMOGames interview, January 2017
- ↑ Direct, 2023-04-07 (40:30).
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Entrevue, 2018-08-24 (8:35).
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Vidéo, 2018-04-05 (40:08).
- ↑ February 8, 2019 - Questions and Answers.
- ↑ Dillias diary.
- ↑ Direct, 2018-02-09 (33:50).
- ↑ Blog - Know Your Nodes - The Basics.
- ↑ Direct, 2022-01-28 (0:00).
- ↑ Ashes of Creation - A new Beginning.
- ↑ Direct, 2019-09-27 (50:01).
- ↑ Direct, 2018-04-8 (AM) (27:26).
- ↑ Vidéo, 2017-07-16 (0:01).
- ↑ Direct, 2022-10-28 (13:53).
- ↑ Direct, 2017-05-22 (38:44).