Evénements are things that happen in Ashes of Creation as the result of development in the world. They can take the form of quests, pop-up triggered events or other narratives that happen throughout the world that are triggered due to certain conditions (predicates). Events are scaled to fit local, regional, and global needs.
- Events are where you’ll find your public quests, though these will be scaled to fit local, regional, and global needs. They’ll also have consequences locally, regionally, and globally, for good (if they’re taken care of successfully) or for ill (if a fail condition is reached).
- Some events incorporate random story-driven interruptions to the normal flow of the world, such as blocking off specific roadways, having a random raid boss or mobs appear unexpectedly in a zone. Some may lead to wider consequences, such as climate change, plagues, volcanic eruptions, forest fires, or other natural disasters.
- Events... can be local, regional or global, and consist of boons or banes. They’re triggered based on a lot of different variables, and some may be one-off Events that occur once, and never again. If an Event is handled successfully, then something good happens to the local, regional, or global area. If it fails, then something bad befalls the local, regional or global area. They’ll relate to the overall Narrative, but don’t fall into its overall structure (for the most part). These are the things that will be written into history, and we imagine that as time grows, each server’s history will diverge more and more.
- Events that are taken care of successfully have positive consequences.
- There are certain effects that can happen in a world that does not have a proper response from the player population and that's the whole idea behind these events that can happen; that feel like these are natural world progression events if corruption starts to show itself as a response- as a push back to the player's development of nodes in the world itself. – Steven Sharif
- Events that reach a fail condition have negative consequences, such as:
- Natural disasters.
- Node attacks from NPC mobs, such as dragons, or hordes of zombies.
- Local events that have not been addressed successfully may start to expand regionally or even globally.
- Some of the events that spawn have consequences that lead to node attacks; and enemies have a particular type of hate list on certain buildings that a node may have access to when they attack during an event; and that hate list might relate to- or that building choice might relate to something that is indicative of the storyline for that particular event; or it could be something that is more pivotal to the defense of the city. If the city doesn't respond to these types of things that might weaken them for potential player attacks afterwards. – Steven Sharif
- Monster coin events are system spawned events that enable players to play as monsters within the event system.
- There are events that lead to the spreading of corruption that players will have to fight back against. When these events occur players will need to participate to keep the intrusion on the material plane back.
- If events don't occur within a certain time period, they could occur randomly.
- There may be one-off events.
- Evénements do not directly impact class effectiveness but there may be ancillary effects in terms of availability of equipment, enchantments or tattoos.
- Calendar events.
- Node attacks.
- Monster coin events.
- Pop-up triggered events.
- POI events.
- Narrative events.
- PvP events.
- For example, if the event takes place in a zone that has a base population of let's say average level 25, then one of the trigger conditions might be that 10 monsters of level 25 have been killed recently in that zone and the level 25 event will now spawn additional content designed for level 25 players. So these events aren't always going to be end-game they're going to be obviously appropriate based on the content in which the predicate system is informing, but they also could be something completely top level that is introduced at a lower-level area and brings population traffic of the players back to those types of things. – Steven Sharif
- Events are not a direct parallel with real world events. Instead, there will be in-game lore behind seasonal events that can relate to the real-world in some way.
- Certain calendar events will incorporate the cultural identity of the various character races.
- Part of the things that they're working on is creating a lot of cultural identity for these character races and how we can bring about these calendar events from the perspective of each individual race. That's something that I think is going to be really helping identify or giving identity to each of the character races. – Steven Sharif
- Seasonal events in-game may not exactly align with real-world seasons due to the different in-game seasonal cycle.
- Will seasonal events in the real-world align with the seasonal rotation in the game world? And I think in that sense probably not. That's going to require a little bit of suspension of disbelief in understanding that. But it's also fair that in-game events do not need to be perfectly cyclical like let's say seasonal events are in the real world. They could have a non-uniform cycle associated with them... There is something to be said for having that represented in the game as long as it's immersive; as long as it's contextualized within the story and the world and the universe that we've created; and isn't a direct homage to Santa Claus in the real-world, just to use a prime example of something. – Steven Sharif
- Holiday events are not going be "campy" or immersion-breaking.
- We have a lot of ideas on how certain real-world holidays can be contextualized within the game world and seem fitting. – Steven Sharif
- A raid boss, such as a winter dragon, may appear because a node has developed to Town (organiser 4). This may bring an eternal winter that affects crop rotations until it is killed.
- Q: I have been wondering how you will capture the storytelling from a casual point of view. Arguably one of if not the best trailers out there is "Star wars the old republic" where they spend tons of money on capturing an audience through some phenomenal trailers. Are you looking to do the same or what trailers can we expect from Ashes of Creation?
- A: There are certain budgetary requirements in order to afford very high-end cinematics and voice actors... and what that means is: how we want to implement on that front is really going to be in-engine, in-game- how we capture those scenes, how we capture those elements of story; and the good thing is that from a lore, narrative, and questing perspective, we have some functionality and tools that we're going to be utilizing to help tell the story from the player's perspective, because so much of the story is derived from player action, from community engagement, from the social interactions and decisions made along these different story arcs that can occur; and each server is different. – Steven Sharif
- Server-firsts will be able to be captured and collected on memory fragments that players can collect in-game so they may relive their experiences.
Des nouveaux points d'intérêt (tel que des donjons et des Bosses d'extérieur) apparaissent à mesure que les Nœuds avancent. Le contenu s'adapte au développement de la zone dans lequel il se trouve.
- Les Populations changeront.
- La difficulté du contenu changera.
- Le contenu lui-même peut être complètement différent, selon ce qui est développé et comment.
- Différents types d'adversaires avec différentes histoires.
- Certains donjons ne se déverrouilleront que si les nœuds sont développés jusqu'à certaines étapes.
- Les objectifs d'histoires pour les joueurs à l'intérieur d'un donjon dépendront des chemins narratifs choisis à travers le système de nœud.
- Les Tables de butins dans les zones et dans les donjons seront liées à la progression dans certaines zones.
Certains donjons et autres points d'intérêt sur la carte vont être affectés par le développement des nœuds sur le serveur. Certains donjons ne seront déverrouillés que si les nœuds sont développés jusqu'à certaines étapes. Les objectifs d'histoires pour les joueurs à l'intérieur d'un donjon dépendront des chemins narratifs choisis à travers le système de nœud. Les Tables de butins dans les zones et dans les donjons seront liées à la progression dans certaines zones. Par exemple, admettons que les humains aient développé un nœud dans la Région A, et une histoire s'est ouverte et dirige les joueurs pour qu'ils inspectent les ruines (donjon) d'une zone proche. Et admettons que ce nœud se soit développé en tant que nœud scientifique (artisanat)… Eh bien avant que ce nœud ait été développé, ce donjon était accessible… Mais maintenant le donjon a propagé des nouveaux objets et monstres qui incluent des tables de butin qui répondront à des besoins d'artisanat grâce au développement de ce nœud scientifique. Et peut être qu'un nouveau boss apparaîtra dans différentes pièces du donjon qui inclura des différents départs de quêtes et d'aventures, comme un objet mystérieux avec une histoire propre qui ne peut être avancée que si un nœud s'est développé jusqu'au statut de métropole dans certaines régions, à travers la planète. Notre système est tellement vaste, quand il s'agit d'interconnectivité et de la manière dont le monde réagit aux joueurs.
- Harbingers that exist on Verra as dungeons are where The Ancients are capable of pushing into the material plane. They can continue to do so under the guise of the effects of corruption as it spreads.
- These are sources of NPC events that players need to address before they grow out of hand.
- Players need to participate in these events to stop the spread of corruption and hold back the intrusion on the material plane.
- If players fail to address these corrupted areas, the frequency of NPC events against their node will increase. These can lead to node buildings and services being disabled, increasing the node's vulnerability to node sieges.
- It can be a very detrimental thing if corruption is not addressed; and that's the intent of corruption, is to present a challenge to the players that if not addressed it becomes exacerbated and a problem over time. – Steven Sharif
- Corrupted areas do not confer corruption onto a player. Only JcJ related activities lead to player corruption (in the flagging system).
- To degree your mortal coil, as we call it, or what some might consider a soul from your character's perspective within this story- can be influenced and can be changed into a shape that's more in tune with corruption; and that's through doing PvP things you can accomplish that. – Steven Sharif
- When it enters the corruption state outside of weather, in that corrupt state, you will probably see a little bit less of the influence of the season because really it's adopting that corruption, which in-and-of-itself is a season. – Steven Sharif
- Corrupted resources are variations of resources that are only available in corrupted areas or during certain story arcs.
Player driven narrative
The world of Verra will be the same on each server, but Nœuds will develop differently. Different servers will have different narratives. Things that happen on one server may not happen on another.
- The overarching narrative of Ashes of Creation is that players are the returning children of Verra but they will not be characterized individually as "saviors".
We want as many people as possible to experience the main server Narrative. These will branch at different scales, but largely at the personal level. Where things change is at the Node level – different parts of the story will be unlocked based on where and when Nodes grow. Unlocking a part of the story in a certain way locks out progression of the story in a different way. You’ll see different antagonists, different NPCs, and different calls to action depending on what’s happening with the server at that time.
It redefines what the players will experience in an MMORPG to come into a wilderness that is devoid of really any structure outside of what the community creates themselves; and then what can be created can be changed, if they want to experience a storyline that's been seen on another server, but you're fighting a dragon because you're near a mountain and the other server's fighting a Kraken because they're near the coast and you want to fight that Kraken because of its drop table. If you want to meta it or because you just want that under your belt: to be the server first to take out that Kraken and you have yet to develop the node there, it's incumbent upon you to manifest that in the game. – Steven Sharif
Monster coin events
- During a Monster Coin Event, players will be able to activate Monster Coins, allowing them to become monsters and wreak havoc! These Events can be triggered in a variety of different ways, and in some cases they may even provide cosmetic rewards.
- They are structured in a way to prevent groups from gaming the system.
- Monster coin events are triggered by activity in the world, such as node advancement, defeating a boss or constructing certain types of buildings within a node.
- Server messages appear for players in the vicinity of these dynamic events.
- The player will have a number of potential objectives they can choose to attack during the event. This may include node buildings, points-of-interest, dungeon, NPC, or other open-world objective.
- When you're playing as a as a monster from the monster coin use as part of an NPC event that might be targeting a node, or other some other open-world objective or POI, or dungeon, you get to participate as a monster and your focus is completing objectives that have already been prescribed as part of the event. – Steven Sharif
- Drop tables are disabled for player controlled monsters.
- Monster coins only allow a character to participate in events on their own server.
- NPC hate lists do not affect monster coin events.
- Traditionally, the Ancients are not going to be part of the Monster Coin system. These are the primary antagonists of the story. From a lore perspective, and one of the reasons why they're not a part of the Monster Coin system, is because their souls have really developed almost to the point of perfection in manipulating the Essence for more corrupt uses. They haven't quite gotten there, and who knows if they ever will, but that attunes them out of the possibility: The reason why the monster coin system is possible with other creatures. – Steven Sharif
Monster coin progression
- In Ashes of Creation a large portion of world events revolve around the environment reacting to the player. This means that as players are exploring the world and developing civilization around them the environment is responding to this encroachment by spawning dynamic events and creatures to attack those developing cities. These events occur in 3 different types: the Legion level the Elite level and the Epic level. – Steven Sharif
- Q: Will World bosses like the like Tumok take part in the NPC sieges on nodes and will players be able to use a monster coin to play as one of those world bosses in an event?
- A: That is the intent, is that we will have varying quality of monster coins available creatures like Tumok may participate in certain atrophy events or other types of events; and if you have the very rare and legendary type of monster coin that's available to be used on a creature type like Tumok then yes, you could inhabit him. That's the intent of the system. – Steven Sharif
GM run events
Objective-based PvP events such as node sieges, castle sieges, guild wars, and node wars will occur within a prime-time window somewhere between 3PM and 9PM server time. This is subject to testing.
- Guild wars and node wars can be declared at any time, but the objectives will only spawn during the prime-time window.
- Events are driven by what we call a state machine; and there are essentially five types of states that exist for events: There's the in-progress state; there's the active state; inactive; on cooldown; or disabled. And that is essentially a way that we inform what types of elements- what stage of activity things are coming online based on what event state is currently active at the moment. We talked a little bit about triggers. We have world conditions like node levels. We have seasons and climates and calendar; the service building activation relics; and completed raids. All of these things can be part of what informs- I'm not going to go into what everything can be. I don't want to dish out the nitty-gritties of the system per-se, but I'm just giving you an idea of what essentially allows events to become a thing; and then once those things are addressed or not addressed, certain cooldowns get triggered. Other conditions might trigger: It could form as a predicate for an additional event- there could be concurrent events. – Steven Sharif
Nous allons garder la trace de l'histoire du monde afin de pouvoir raconter aux gens le récit jusqu'à ce jour. Un tout nouveau joueur, qui arrive après six mois, peut jeter un œil à chaque serveur, ce que chaque serveur a réalisé, comment le serveur a abordé l'intrigue ; et ils peuvent décider par eux-mêmes quelle communauté ils veulent rejoindre, à quelle version du monde ils veulent prendre part. – Jeffrey Bard
- The history of significant narrative events on a server, including when they first occurred and who participated in them, is canonized in libraries.
- There is a method by which we create a canon for the server of events. Those canons are usually going to be immortalized through systems like the library, which recounts certain types of events that happen on a server; and recount perhaps the members who participate in those events- immortalize them over time as the first-time defeaters, first-time accomplishers- that perspective. – Steven Sharif
- Locations and last known quantity of gatherable resources.
- Reports of information to the library may expire after a period of time (say one week). After which new reports will be required to update the existing information.
- You'll get that shroud of war functionality for the week after a report but if it doesn't receive a follow-up report after that expiration period then it will not be updating real time. – Steven Sharif
- Sièges de château.
- Sièges de noeud.
- Apparitions de Bosses d'extérieur légendaires.
- Évènement de pièce de monstre.
- Opportunités de donjons.
- Les noeuds au niveau d'Expédition (organiser 1) et Encampment (organiser 2) seront annoncés à proximité.
- Les Village (organiser 3) auront une annonce dans toute la région.
- Les Town (organiser 4) et plus élévés seront sans doutes annoncés dans le monde entier.
Que ce soit un siège ou un évènement déclenché contre une ville, ou même une opportunité unique pour un donjon... Ce genre de choses impliqueront des notifications. Surtout pour les citoyens de la ville, qui seront informés d'un évènement imminent, pour leur donner assez de temps. – Steven Sharif
2023-04-09 2022-06-27 2022-05-01 2022-04-28
- Types of Events on Verra.
- Direct, 2021-03-26 (23:33).
- Podcast, 2021-04-11 (23:36).
- Direct, 2017-05-03 (46:18).
- Direct, 2023-04-07 (37:56).
- Direct, 2022-04-29 (44:13).
- MMOGames interview, January 2017
- Direct, 2022-04-29 (32:29).
- Direct, 2020-06-26 (1:29:06).
- Our immersive world - Environments.
- Direct, 2017-05-08 (20:27).
- Interview: Ashes of Creation on Building Their Virtual World, 2017-04-13.
- Direct, 2021-06-25 (1:13:30).
- Direct, 2020-01-30 (1:32:12).
- Direct, 2022-04-29 (39:00).
- Direct, 2022-04-29 (42:31).
- Direct, 2021-03-26 (50:03).
- Direct, 2020-11-08 (12:47).
- Podcast, 2021-04-11 (54:35).
- Direct, 2022-04-29 (36:51).
- Direct, 2017-05-10 (40:36).
- Direct, 2022-04-29 (40:21).
- Direct, 2022-04-29 (41:30).
- Entrevue, 2018-10-20 (7:31).
- Direct, 2022-04-29 (38:05).
- Direct, 2022-04-29 (50:49).
- Twitter - From big to small, Thanksgiving is a holiday for all!
- Direct, 2023-01-27 (4:18).
- Direct, 2018-09-27 (43:21).
- Direct, 2017-11-17 (36:22).
- Direct, 2017-11-17 (18:29).
- Direct, 2021-03-26 (22:53).
- Entrevue, 2023-07-09 (47:05).
- Vidéo, 2023-03-31 (1:22).
- Vidéo, 2023-03-31 (3:32).
- Direct, 2022-01-28 (1:17:12).
- Direct, 2023-03-31 (54:22).
- Direct, 2021-06-25 (1:32:24).
- Direct, 2023-03-31 (58:27).
- Direct, 2023-03-31 (59:10).
- Vidéo, 2023-03-31 (16:42).
- Vidéo, 2023-03-31 (28:11).
- Direct, 2017-05-19 (37:03).
- Direct, 2019-12-17 (1:10:30).
- Direct, 2017-05-22 (28:02).
- Direct, 2022-07-29 (1:20:24).
- Vidéo, 2017-05-25 (0:02).
- IGN: Ashes of Creation first look: An MMO that lets you be the boss.
- Direct, 2023-06-30 (1:50:52).
- Direct, 2017-05-26 (22:19).
- Direct, 2017-05-03 (36:25).
- Direct, 2017-05-03 (35:25).
- Direct, 2021-06-25 (1:36:05).
- Podcast, 2020-11-15 (47:12).
- Podcast, 2020-11-15 (51:22).
- Direct, 2017-05-03 (31:46).
- Direct, 2018-06-04 (22:27).
- Entrevue, 2020-07-29 (31:05).
- Entrevue, 2020-07-18 (13:13).
- Entrevue, 2020-07-08 (22:37).
- Direct, 2022-04-29 (44:58).
- Entrevue, 2018-04-20 (9:20).
- Blog: Know Your Nodes - Scientific Node Type
- Entrevue, 2023-07-09 (59:31).
- Podcast, 2021-04-11 (27:34).
- Direct, 4 Mai 2018 (48:14).
- Entrevue, 17 Août 2018 (24:48).
- Direct, 30 Avril 2021 (1:01:10).
- Direct, 30 Octobre 2020 (1:01:00).