Nivellement won't follow a traditional linear path, although classic mechanics for leveling exist.
- Experience (XP) is gained through a variety of vertical and horizontal progression paths, such as JcJ, JcE, Exploration, Collecte/Traitement/Artisanat, Evénements/Quêtes, Grinding mobs.
- XP will be awarded for participating in objective-based PvP on a diminishing returns basis.
- A character's level is visible to other players.
- Some levels may offer more rewards than others.
- I think you can emphasize some levels more than others and that's a great way to do progression. But I think ultimately that you should see a reward for your progress or effort spent. – Steven Sharif
- There will not be level boosts or auto-leveling (AFK leveling).
- As part of our ideals as a game we're not going to give boosts away. We're not going to auto-level up a character. You have to spend time acclimating yourself to what this game is, to what the world that you're part of is; and that's an investment- a time investment; and that plays towards our ideas of risk-versus-reward; and I've always said our game's not going to be for everybody and that's okay. – Steven Sharif
- If I have a skill that does a thousand damage to a target of equal level I don't want my skill to do zero damage to a target that's five levels above me. – Steven Sharif
- A player could in theory level to max level at a single node, providing that node was at a high-enough stage, but it would not be the most effective means of leveling.
The level cap at launch is expected to be approximately level 50.
- On release the developers anticipate max level should be attainable in approximately 45 days if playing 4-6 hours per day.
- Alpha-1 had progression to level 15.
- Alpha-2 expects progression to level 35 (subject to change).
Lower level characters will have usefulness in mass combat (such as Sièges de Nœuds) that is not directly dependent on their level, such as manning siege weapons, helping repair fortifications, bringing proximity-based buffs to key positions, using stealth or scaling walls. These types of things are relevant to the tide of battle and do not require the player to be max-level or have high combat stats.
The idea is not to be a game where somebody can essentially no life for a week and be max level. The idea is to incorporate some significant chunk of time but still respect the casual player, because you know the way we respect the casual player is not everything is driven in our game through the adventuring progression line. Not everything is driven through your class level per-se. There's a lot of different progression paths that are available and make you relevant within certain systems and mechanics within the game; and some of those paths are more casual friendly and some of those paths are more hardcore friendly. So with regards to the adventuring class, the idea is to make sure that investment needs to be pretty significant and that the reward then is respective of that investment. – Steven Sharif
Experience (XP) is gained through a variety of vertical and horizontal progression paths, such as JcJ, JcE, Exploration, Collecte/Traitement/Artisanat, and Evénements/Quêtes.
- Experience gained from killing mobs and bosses when in a group is divided by the number of party members based on damage done by the group (compared to any other parties attacking that mob or boss).
- A multiplier is then applied that increases with the number of party members. The multiplier is between 1.3 and 1.4 (approximately).
- Experience gained also takes into account the difference between the party's highest and lowest level characters.
- Experience gained from quest rewards is not shared with other party members.
- Experience gained is not affected by looting rights.
- Experience will be awarded for participating in objective-based PvP on a diminishing returns basis.
Points de compétences
Les joueurs recoivent des points de compétences en gagnant des niveaux. Ceux-ci peuvent être utilisés pour augmenter les compétences (augmenter leur rang) dans leurs arbres de compétences actives, passives ou de combat/d'armes.
- Il ne sera pas possible de maximiser toutes les compétences dans un arbre de compétences.
- En ce qui concerne la progression des compétences, les joueurs pourront voir large et obtenir un certain nombre de compétences différentes, ou aller "en profondeur" dans un petit nombre de compétences spécifiques.
- Les joueurs peuvent réinitialiser et redistribuer leurs points de compétences.
Rendre les compétences actives capables de recevoir des allocations de points supplémentaires et de débloquer des fonctionnalités supplémentaires pour que du point de vue de la distribution du joueur il sera a vous de décider si vous voulez être plus diversifié mais moins profond - plus large mais moins grand, dans certains de ces choix de compétences. Ou si vous voulez être très très grand, ce sera quelque chose qui dépendra du joueur à cet égard. – Steven Sharif
There is not going to be a typical end-game in Ashes of Creation.
Part of the whole experience with nodes is that there is no real end-game, in that the world is constantly shifting every day. Month one is going to be really different from month two; and that's for the level 50s and level 1s. – Jeffrey Bard
We want the game to be a living game, which means that all content should be relevant at all times. I’d say that we try to make as little distinction between the leveling up experience and the end game experience as possible. The whole journey is important to us, in order to maximize the fun people have during different stages of the game. – Sarah Flanagan
The level of a particular event can be based on the level of the content that triggers it, or it can be set to a higher level in order to drive traffic back to lower level zones.
- For example, if the event takes place in a zone that has a base population of let's say average level 25, then one of the trigger conditions might be that 10 monsters of level 25 have been killed recently in that zone and the level 25 event will now spawn additional content designed for level 25 players. So these events aren't always going to be end-game they're going to be obviously appropriate based on the content in which the predicate system is informing, but they also could be something completely top level that is introduced at a lower-level area and brings population traffic of the players back to those types of things. – Steven Sharif
Repetition will not be part of progression in Ashes of Creation.
- There will be no "grindy" quests.
- There will not be repetitive quest lines through a single dungeon to obtain gear.
- The aspiration is to have more things to do in the game than a player has time to do.
There will be a mentorship program where upper-level players are able to benefit from partying and/or helping lower level players; and getting them situated in the game.
- Certain node buildings and organizations offer quests that can be initiated by a mentor to assist new players. Rewards are offered to both the mentor and the mentee upon completion.
There will be activities that are present for higher level players to mentor lower level players. Let's say you have a friend who joins later on and you still want to do things with them, there will be things to do. Will he be able to enter a dungeon of your level and participate? No, because we don't want to inflate or deflate characters and manipulate that type of skill or power. We want that to be something that makes sense for them in a progression standpoint. – Steven Sharif
The mentorship program provides individual quests that can be initiated by the mentor based off of what node that they are part of. So these are like quests that are determined by either certain buildings and/or organizations or the mayor; and there are specific ones that are available for mentors to provide mentees; and they can also participate in some of those quest lines as well: Whether that be leading your mentee through a dungeon or providing a location for them to arrive with you at, or escort quests for the NPC caravans. These types of things, when done together with your mentor, will provide benefits both for the mentor and the mentee as well, so you're incentivized to participate with new players. – Steven Sharif
Levels, stats, or skills will not be scaled to allow low level players to participate in encounters with higher level players or world bosses.
- Q: Will world bosses scale when it comes to player levels and is it based on players or the zone itself leveling?
- A: They they will not scale based on player level, no.
Il n'y aura pas d'AFK leveling dans Ashes of Creation.
Nous voulons que ce jeu soit joué. S'il y a des choses que vous pouvez faire pour ne pas jouer au jeu et continuer à progresser, nous avons mal fait quelque chose.  – Jeffrey Bard
- Un joueur choisit son archétype primaire au début de la partie.
- Les joueurs reçoivent des points de compétences en augmentant de niveau. Ils peuvent être utilisés pour améliorer leurs capacités dans leur arbre de compétence.
- Il sera impossible de maximiser toute les compétences d'un arbre de compétence.
- Un joueur peut choisir un archétype secondaire lorsqu'il atteint le niveau 25. La combinaison des archétypes primaires et secondaires est appelée classe.
- L'archétype secondaire n'offre pas de compétences supplémentaires.
- Les archétypes secondaires peuvent être modifiés, mais pas "à la volée".
- Le joueur peut alors améliorer ses compétences primaires avec les effets de son archétype secondaire.
- Chaque compétence de l'arbre primaire aura plusieurs options d'améliorations grâce à l'arbre secondaire. C'est un exemple de progression horizontale.
- Les améliorations apportées aux compétences primaires peuvent fondamentalement changer le fonctionnement de la capacité - en adaptant ce que la capacité faisait avant pour incorporer l'identité de l'archétype/classe secondaire.
Si un Combattant choisissait Mage comme archétype secondaire, le Combattant deviendrait un Spellsword. Cette combinaison débloque des améliorations qui peuvent être appliquées aux compétences de leur arbre de compétences primaire. Les Combattants ont une compétence Rush leur permettant de se ruer sur une cible; et en atteignant la cible, d'infliger un certain nombre de dégâts avec une chance de renverser la cible. Une amélioration d'évasion d'un Mage pourrait être appliquée à la compétence de rush, qui téléporterait le joueur vers la cible à la place; éliminant ainsi le temps de charge de la compétence.
La progression de la classe est indépendante de la progression artisanale.
Les événements du monde n'impactent pas directement l'efficacité des classes mais peuvent avoir des effets liés aux disponibilités d'équipements, d'enchantements ou de tatouages.
Zones et progression
Donjons, Raids, Bosses d'extérieur, Monstres, Quêtes, Événements, Ressources, Narration et tout autre contenu à l'intérieur d'une ZI d'un nœud auront des niveaux divers et variés ; mais avanceront en même temps que l'avancement de ce nœud et seront dépendants de l'influence raciale.
Nous n'avons pas de zone de niveau 25 à strictement parler. A la place, cette zone pourra avoir des créatures de niveau 10 près de la route, des créatures de niveau 20 au plus profond de la forêt, et d'autres créatures de niveau 30 en haut de la montagne. Ces ratios changeront en fonction des informations reçues par leurs Nœuds, devenant en général plus dangereux tandis que le nœud évolue. Toute cette civilisation attire l'attention de Choses-Qui-Ne-Devraient-Pas-Être. Cela ne veut pas dire que les zones sauvages sont sans danger, en aucun cas. Certaines seront moins dangereuse, mais toutes auront des dangers que même le voyageur le plus expérimenté devra surveiller. – Steven Sharif
There will be a mix of different monsters and difficulty levels throughout the world that are tied to the development of nearby nodes. As nodes advance, mobs will present new and increasing dangers that players can participate in.
- In the world naturally there will be locations that are going to have a mix of different levels of monsters and difficulty levels; and then those spawn tables relate to the development of nearby nodes. So as nodes develop they'll be changing the spawn tables around them to reflect their further development in the world, presenting new and more difficult dangers that the players can participate in. – Steven Sharif
- Not all creatures are immediately hostile to players. Some creatures may hunt other creatures.
- We've talked about this a little bit in the past when talking about taming and/or certain types of like creature gatherable resources there are herds that exist out there. There are big game that exist out there, where they're not going to aggro and attack you per-se. Also lower level monsters and certain type of like social monsters may not attack you off the bat. – Steven Sharif
- There will be flying mobs, but not in terms of requiring a flying mount to engage them.
- We will have flying monsters but essentially what that means is there's going to be rotations either in the behavior tree that might make them inaccessible to targets, or they might do some like swooping attacks; they might come and land on the ground and fight you. But generally monsters are going to be accessible from on the ground, so we're not creating content for the limited number of individuals who are going to have access to a flying mount. – Steven Sharif
- Certain elite monsters that are not assigned any to any particular hunting ground will roam throughout the world. Other mobs will have leashes that will cause the mob to reset if it moves too far from its point of origin.
- Leashes are relevant. There's other gameplay implications that happen when you're able to actually move populations around. We don't want to really give that to the players perspective. – Steven Sharif
- In general, mobs will not leave footprints or cause screen-shake; but larger monsters and bosses may do. Screen shake will be customizable in user interface settings.
- There is something to be had there about those types of screen-shake effects. We want them to be present when we're emphasizing certain things, but we don't want them to be a nuisance, or annoying, or too plentiful; and having screen-shake apply to every step would probably be too abundant. Will players have control over those on-screen type effects? Yeah I think so. I think that's something we want to provision as a customizable option for players to be able to turn off, because it can be somewhat nauseating for certain groups of people and a distraction from what's happening in the world. – Steven Sharif
- Certain bosses and creatures will have voice lines along with other audio cues.
Tavernes offer rested experience (rested XP) for those who rent rooms or spend time as patrons of the tavern.
- Rested experience allows players to gain experience at a faster rate for a period of time.
Familiers de combat will be levelable and will have gear available to them.
- Familiers de combat will incorporate some of their owner's power in a way that keeps the power progression horizontal.
- Power is delegated to the pet when it is summoned and returned to the player immediately when the pet despawns.
Summoner summons (Summoner pets) do add to the summoner's power when they are summoned.
- Equipement is not available to Summoner summons.
Combat pets, which can be acquired by any archetype- and this is essentially an item that exists within your backpack- you cast the item to summon your pet. When it is summoned it's not intended to be a vertical gain of power, because when you make combat pets a vertical power gain, then it becomes a no choice solution: you must have a combat pet if you want to play efficiently- you must have a combat pet; and I wanted to steer clear of that because the way I wanted to approach combat pets was more of a horizontal power choice; meaning: depending on the type of encounter you're facing, depending on the threat assessment you have, a combat pet might be relevant, or it might not. One combat combat pet might be more relevant than another combat pet and that's part of your gear acquisition, your item chase to attain this more comprehensive selection of combat pets that you can have available to you and can be summoned in the event that you want to engage an encounter with a different aspect of your power curve: Not vertical, but horizontal. – Steven Sharif
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Direct, 2020-07-31 (1:05:58).
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Direct, 2022-10-14 (23:15).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Entrevue, 2018-10-20 (1:55).
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Direct, 2017-05-24 (46:27).
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Direct, 2022-05-27 (1:11:10).
- ↑ Direct, 2020-07-25 (1:33:37).
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Direct, 2022-07-29 (1:24:58).
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Entrevue, 2021-06-13 (48:27).
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 Direct, 2018-09-27 (52:41).
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Direct, 2020-07-25 (1:34:55).
- ↑ Direct, 2022-04-29 (1:06:34).
- ↑ Direct, 2017-12-15 (58:48).
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Entrevue, 2020-07-08 (1:07:59).
- ↑ Direct, 2017-05-24 (19:25).
- ↑ Direct, 2021-04-30 (41:18).
- ↑ Direct, 2022-01-28 (15:35).
- ↑ Entrevue, 2020-07-08 (1:12:51).
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 Direct, 2020-07-31 (1:22:23).
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 Vidéo, 2023-01-27 (30:00).
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 Direct, 2020-07-25 (44:46).
- ↑ Direct, 2021-06-25 (23:08).
- ↑ Direct, 2020-08-28 (1:12:50).
- ↑ Entrevue, 2020-07-29 (55:44).
- ↑ Entrevue, 2020-07-19 (53:59).
- ↑ Entrevue, 2020-07-18 (1:07:51).
- ↑ 27.0 27.1 27.2 27.3 Direct, 2017-07-28 (19:05).
- ↑ Direct, 2017-11-16 (30:02).
- ↑ 29.0 29.1 29.2 Entrevue, 2020-07-29 (54:44).
- ↑ Direct, 2020-08-28 (1:19:24).
- ↑ 31.0 31.1 31.2 31.3 Vidéo, 2018-04-05 (40:08).
- ↑ 32.0 32.1 February 8, 2019 - Questions and Answers.
- ↑ 33.0 33.1 Direct, 2022-04-29 (44:13).
- ↑ 34.0 34.1 34.2 Direct, 2017-05-15 (26:13).
- ↑ Entrevue, 2018-08-24 (4:15).
- ↑ 36.0 36.1 36.2 36.3 36.4 Direct, 2020-09-30 (1:07:22).
- ↑ Entrevue, 2018-08-24 (8:52).
- ↑ 38.0 38.1 Direct, 2023-05-31 (43:55).
- ↑ Entrevue, 2021-06-13 (24:14).
- ↑ 40.0 40.1 40.2 40.3 Entrevue, 2020-07-18 (1:05:04).
- ↑ 41.0 41.1 41.2 41.3
- ↑ 42.0 42.1 Ashes of Creation class list.
- ↑ Direct, 2017-05-03 (50:50).
- ↑ Direct, 2017-07-18 (37:43).
- ↑ Direct, 2020-07-31 (1:31:11).
- ↑ Podcast, 2021-04-11 (54:35).
- ↑ Entrevue, 2020-07-19 (19:35).
- ↑ Direct, 2017-05-15 (30:53).
- ↑ Blog - Know Your Nodes - The Basics.
- ↑ Interview: Ashes of Creation on Building Their Virtual World, 2017-04-13.
- ↑ 52.0 52.1 52.2 Direct, 2021-03-26 (54:26).
- ↑ Direct, 2020-07-31 (1:45:40).
- ↑ Direct, 2020-06-26 (1:14:42).
- ↑ 55.0 55.1 Direct, 2017-05-26 (24:33).
- ↑ Vidéo, 2023-05-31 (4:17).
- ↑ 57.0 57.1 Direct, 2023-02-24 (1:22:04).
- ↑ Vidéo, 2023-05-31 (5:01).
- ↑ 59.0 59.1 Direct, 2021-06-25 (1:28:02).
- ↑ 60.0 60.1 Direct, 2022-05-27 (1:00:23).
- ↑ Direct, 2023-01-27 (1:10:12).
- ↑ 62.0 62.1 62.2 Direct, 2023-05-31 (43:04).
- ↑ Direct, 2023-05-31 (40:52).
- ↑ Vidéo, 2022-06-30 (24:18).
- ↑ Direct, 2023-05-31 (45:26).
- ↑ The mighty beard!
- ↑ 68.0 68.1 Direct, 2020-11-30 (1:26:00).
- ↑ 70.0 70.1 70.2 Entrevue, 2022-01-14 (42:18).
- ↑ Direct, 2020-10-30 (1:21:14).
- ↑ Direct, 2019-06-28 (1:24:27).
- ↑ Direct, 2021-07-30 (1:15:29).